Thursday, January 23, 2014

Playwright-ing.

Writer's Block.

God, I know, right? Isn't it the worst? No matter what you're writing -- whether it be a book, script, story, poem, novel, ESSAY -- it's a writer's worst nightmare. Looking a the page with no idea of what to put down next. The ideas, the words, they're all there...but they just won't come out the way you want them to, if at all.

There are lots of suggestion to fighting writer's block. Read. Get away from the project. Do something completely unrelated. Try another project. Do they work?

Maybe.



I'm a writer. And it's hard for me to continue writing something (especially a big project) when the [whatever-it-is] hits a roadblock when trying to get from point "A" to point "B." So despite how the creative juices are flowing that day, they always stop once that happens. I want to write...but can't.And that SUCKS.

In the past, I've lost interest or stopped working on the project altogether. Although recently, I find it easier to stop, take a break for a day or two, and immerse myself in inspiring stuffs. So what do I do? I read, play video games, watch a movie or two I really like. Stuff that involves creativity. Stuff that involves ART. Stuff that's cool that makes me go "hey! that's cool! Ooh, IDEA! I have an idea for [a thing] now!" If none of that works, I try to work on something else. Another project. Or I mess around, just spouting out random pieces, or messing around video editing. Just something to get me used to working creatively. Eventually something works and something reminds me of what I was originally working on. Then I try working on it again, and all is good.

You're probably wondering WHY I'm talking about writer's block. Well, hopefully writing about writer's block helps me start writing about what I was originally writing before writing about writer's block.

Um, let me try that again.

I'm writing this so that I can get that creative spirit going again. I don't want to say EXACTLY what it is I'm stuck on, but it may or not be related to this. So, inspired by the student-directed one-acts I watched at my school a couple weeks ago, I'm turning Marble Hornets (the beloved webseries) into a one-act play. I've never written a play, but it's kind of fun. It's a very different process, as you have to account for the actors actually doing most of the work. The juice of the content is in the lines of the characters and the plot. Oomph, it's tough. I'm used to lots of descriptions and word play in addition to dialogue and plot. It's just harder to put everything into just lines. But it's definitely fun.

A screenshot of the first page

I'm also working hard on setting up AfterThoughts, my VSauce-style YouTube channel. I'm doing my research, and setting up my theses for future videos, as well as all of the online technical stuff. I'm working with a friend of mine to set up a website I'll be writing for as well. So that's fun.

It's also Finals week.

All in all, it's a busy week for me! Y'all will know when something awesome hits the fan, though. That's what the blog is for!

Oh, and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment